Monday, July 28, 2008

Grilled "Chicken" Caesar Salad with Whole Wheat Croutons

One of TCV's favorite fakey meats is Quorn Naked Chick'n Cutlets. Save for bit drier texture, they taste just like chicken. They grill like chicken, and they look like chicken, but they are not...um....dead. 

On my version of the Caesar salad, I marinated the naked cutlets in olive oil and lemon juice, then sprinkled them with pepper before throwing them on a screaming hot grill. You just need to get some grill marks on these suckers. Don't burn'em. The dressing is simple: Throw a few cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese, a squeeze of vegan mayo, dash of soy sauce, dash of spicy mustard, and the juice from one lemon into a food processor. Turn it on, then drizzle in some olive oil 'till you like the consistency. Throw in salt & pepper and you are done.
Use the dressing you just made to dress some romaine lettuce. Top with croutons, sliced grilled "chicken," and a few shavings from the parmesan block. Admire the work you just did. Eat.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Funny that you call yourself TCV now...ha! I think I've looked at those cutlets before in the Wild Oats and I don't think they were vegan...but I might be thinking of something else. I do like the Boca Chicken Patties though...only the non-organic ones are vegan though. The organic Bocas at Wild Oats aren't. I have to get the vegan kind at Wal-Mart. Weird.

Stephanie said...

I think the Quorn patties with gruyere are just about perfect.