Thursday, July 31, 2008

Italian Sandwich with Olive Dressing

This sandwich can be made with any combination of ingredients. If you have some eggplant, then grill it and throw it on. If you have a few extra tomatoes, then pile 'em up. You get the point. There is no wrong answer here. The key here is the olive dressing. I use green and black olives, onion, pepperoncini peppers, fresh parsley, roasted red peppers, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Roughly chop all ingredients, then add a few dashes of both the oil and the vinegar. Throw in some red pepper flakes and a turn or two of the pepper mill and let it sit in the fridge until you are ready to eat it. Please note: No one, and I mean no one does it better than Fino's. So, if you are in Memphis and you want a good vegetarian Italian sandwich, they are the folks to go see. Ask for extra olive dressing on the sandwich; it is worth it.

Fino's sandwich pictured top left
TCV's sandwiches Below (2)

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Huh. I've never eaten at Fino's. But that dressing sounds fantastical! I'll have to go there. BTW, I read Amy's article in Edible Memphis on my lunch break. It was so cute! I'd forgotten that she was omni.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

fino's is not vegan friendly. the olive dressing has cheese in it. i was vegan for years, and i used to go in there and get the sandwich without cheese, then one day they told me that there was a small amount of parm in the dressing. i was in despair, but that is when i learned to make my own.

-j