Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fig & Cocoa Glazed Seitan Skewers served with a Purple Potato, Ruby Beet, & Goat Cheese Gratin and Purple Cabbage Slaw


This is BBQ reinvented. At its core this meal is BBQ, potatoes and slaw, but TCV tried to take everything in a slightly different direction. I made the BBQ sauce with Ficoco, a sandwich spread made from fresh figs and cocoa powder. The gratin was inspired by my new fascination with beets. They seem to be everywhere these days, so I'm trying to get right with them. This was the perfect combo of goat cheese, beets and potatoes; sweet, starchy, and earthy. The slaw is my classic vegan slaw made with Purple cabbage, but this time I served it inside of the tiny heads of cabbage I used to make the slaw. I allowed color to guide the making of this meal and I could not have been more pleased with the outcome. This is something I will make again.

No comments: