Monday, January 17, 2011

Winchester Farmer's Market

I love, love, love the Winchester Farmer's Market which is located at the corner of Winchester and Kirby across the street from the Statue of Liberation through Christ, a Memphis landmark. Every time I go there I end up with all kinds of cool food from all over the world...some of it I had never seen before, and some of it I'd never even heard of before.

I believe in eating local most of the time, but I also believe that you have to take the opportunity to try new and different foods when you can. The first time I ever had rambutons, dragon fruit, ponzu, and fresh sugar cane, it all came from the Winchester Farmer's Market. They have fresh vegetables, herbs, and spices you can only find dried in other supermarkets. It is such a fun place to go and explore. They even have someone making fresh tortillas in-house. You're sure to find something you can't live without.

Leave me a comment and see how many items from my latest haul you can name. Some of them are easy and others...not so much.

16 comments:

Tiffany L. said...

I'm not really sure of any of these :)

1) Fava Beans
2) Honey
3) Lemons (They don't really look like Meyer lemons, so I'll just stick with traditional lemons)
4) Soba Noodles
5) butternut squash
6) chili threads
7) Bamboo skewers
8) no clue
9) Some kind of strainer
10) Cactus Honey Powder (natural sugar substitute)
11) Ginger root (I know 12 is ginger root, but maybe some kind of strange variety)
12) ginger root

Benito said...

It's a little hard to see the detail at this size, but...

#1 - Soybeans/Edamame?
#3 - Quince?
#4 - Soba noodles, whole wheat?
#7 - Bamboo skewers
#9 - "Spider" for fishing out fried foods
#11 - Turmeric (probably the weirdest looking thing ever)
#12 - Ginger

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Doing good! Still looking for 1, 5, & 8,

Rosie Grey said...

Hmmm, 1 looks a bit like pistachios... and I'm pretty sure I've never seen no. 5 - at least not in this "condition" could be I've seen in processed in some meal... ;-) I've the feeling I know no. 8 but can't put a name to it now... Oh my, not very helpful... but I love your blog! :-)

Lindsay-Jean said...

#5 looks like a lotus root. If it is, I'm very jealous that you can get it at a farmers market near you!!

mac cosmetics outlet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Martin said...

It's hard to see because the photo can't be enlarged but is 1 possibly cardamom? No clue about 5, sorry. 8 has to be LONGAN :)

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Linny, Martin, You are correct! That just leaves #1. Keep guessing.

Laura said...

1 - Edamame?

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

not cardamom or edamame or pistachios or fava beans. Give me a few more good guesees and I'll tell you.

Tiffany L. said...

#1 isn't lima beans is it? (They look bigger than limas, but I can't think of anything else it looks like)

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Not lima. Good guess though.

Anonymous said...

Looks like quince to me. Or an egg mcmuffin.

Jenoose said...

Petai Bean, Gingko Nut...?

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Quiz answers:

1. fresh chickpeas in shells
2. robert bodum local honey
3. quince
4. soba noodles
5. lotus root
6. dried red pepper strands
7. bamboo skewers
8. longan
9. spider
10. agave powder
11. fresh tumeric
12. ginger

Stacy A. Cordery said...

That was fun!