Saturday, January 22, 2011

Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

All my little brother wants for his birthday every single year is homemade peanut butter cups. He issues the usual kingly demand for them mid-January; he knows we will acquiesce and bring him a little box of them on his day.

The secret is that it's really not so extravagant a request because these are so easy to make. (I have always based the cups on the Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups recipe in Tanya and Sarah's How It All Vegan, one of the best cookbooks around.)

Vegan Peanut Butter Cups

(You need foil muffin liners and a 12-cup muffin tin to start.)

1 cup organic peanut butter (the thicker the better)
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup soy or olive oil margarine (melted)
1/4 cup cane sugar
pinch of sea salt

1 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup soy milk

chopped peanuts or crushed graham crackers (topping)


Put the foil muffin liners into the 12 tins. Mix the first 5 ingredients well and pour the peanut butter mixture evenly into the 12 cups. Heat the chocolate chips and the soy milk until just melted. Let it cool a bit and then spoon it over the prepared cups. Tap or shake the muffin tin so the layers settle. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs or chopped peanuts over the top of the cups. Refrigerate for 6 hours or freeze for 1-2 hours before serving.


9 comments:

Expats Again said...

A lucky little brother!

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling.

Anonymous said...

The perfect combination; chocolate, peanut butter and vegans.

Meowlissa said...

Yea. Pretty much fantabulous.

Ai said...

Peanut Butter and chocolate is my favorite sweets combo!! I'd kill for a Reese's cup right now... :P

xoxo
Ai

Anonymous said...

Linnie's going to make it peanut-free with sunflower seed butter. I'm intrigued.

Amy

Unknown said...

I wish my brother was a cook, I'd ask for these. Look awesome!

Black Kat said...

Oh.... my.... YUMMM!!! Peanut butter cups are, by far, my greatest addiction. Having a healthier alternative makes me very happy! Thank you for sharing this! :-)

autena said...

That's what I always ask for too! These look yummy.