Sunday, January 2, 2011

Juicer Bloody Marys

The Jack LaLanne Power Juicer Pro has been one of our favorite gifts. We have been experimenting with it and coming up with some healthy, potent juices like apple-carrot-spinach and clementine-ginger. It wasn't long before I was looking for a more sinister use for the juice, and that is when I came up with an idea for a juicer bloody mary. It was the perfect companion to the black-eyed peas, greens, and cornbread at my younger brother's New Year's Day party.

Frankly, the jury was split on this one. My older brother said they were the best bloody marys he had ever had, and of course, I'd have to agree. Because everything is fresh, my version of this venerable brunch beverage tastes light and clean when you compare it to the thick, preservative-heavy mixes you find at the store. A few at the New Year's Day party found this to be too spicy, but I think that says more about them than it does about my mary. Try this recipe for yourself with or without the vodka.

Juicer Bloody Marys (8-10 servings)

8-10 large roma or medium slicer tomatoes
1 stalk of celery (use small ribs and leaves as garnish)
1 large cucumber
1 green bell pepper
1 jalapeno (pull out the seeds and ribs if you like it mild)
2 carrots
1 clove of garlic
2 limes

2 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp. of tomato paste
2 pinches of sea salt
cracked pepper to taste

vodka (optional)
10 pieces of pickled okra
small inner celery ribs with tops

Rinse the vegetables and the limes. (No need to peel if you have a powerful juicer.) Juice them up and pour into a pitcher. Add the sauce, paste, salt, and pepper and stir. Serve over ice. Add vodka if you like and garnish with pickled okra and celery tops.

14 comments:

Karen said...

YUM!

Carissa said...

This sounds so good! I have been looking for a good bloody mary recipe, thanks!

the happy family said...

Oh, I love my juiced & bloody marys! Win. Win.

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to get to enjoy this bloody mary on new year's day and it was the best one I have ever had ever! The fresh cucumber flavors, carrots, garlic, and lime all jumped out and really made this delicious.
-Graham

Unknown said...

Thank you! I was looking for the same sinister use ;) I traded out the jalapeno for fresh horseradish root :)

Unknown said...

Yumm yumm!

Anonymous said...

Hope the Worcestershire sauce was anchovie free!

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Well, anonymous, since it is listed as 'vegan W. sauce' in the recipe, i think it's safe to say that no one will be off message on this one.

TCV

Anonymous said...

Mine came out really watery. Is that normal?

Anonymous said...

Confused....do I juice the vegis only, then chop up and add the jalapeno and garlic?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe. I tried to make juicer bloody marys, and I didn't like the results too much. But, I didn't think of adding a bit of tomato paste. I think it's going to make a big difference.

Unknown said...

I added sriracha and horseradish, used a red pepper in place of a bell pepper, used bacon grease to stick creole powder to the rim of the glass. Perfection!

Anonymous said...

So So SO amazing! Thank you so much!!!
Added extra Jalepenos for an extra kick! I love this recipe. i will never buy store bought again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your recipe...the tomato paste made all the difference! I finished w/ the tomato paste in my food processor. Killer!!! Oh and instead of a green pepper and a jalapeno, I used one of my poblano peppers...the perfect blend of bell and spice in one pepper!