Friday, January 21, 2011

Apples!

An unbelieveable box of apples (from here) appeared at work as a gift for us to share. I grabbed a few every day, and soon, the towering pile of apples on my desk grew into a spectacle. Why didn't anyone else covet these apples? I for one was super-happy to squirrel them away.

Personally, I love lucking into a huge amount of a raw ingredient because then I get to while away time processing it as well as dream about all the things I can cook up. So what should we make this week with 35 free, pretty, shiny apples? Any suggestions?







Here's a look back at other TCV recipes starring apples:







7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make apples 'n' onions! Or Apple Jelly! Or Apple Crisp...or Pork roast stuffed with apples and ginger...yum!

SublimeHues said...

Great Photo! The Recipes sound divine! I Love apples...yum...yum

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

A personal favorite is battered and fried apple slices (not wedges). Put some cinnamon, nutmeg and maybe some cayenne and a smidge of brown sugar in the batter. Have some dipping sauces on hand (caramel, bourbon whip cream, or even just some maple syrup).
Also great in a cold wild rice salad with lime, cilantro, and baked tofu.The raw apple, not the fried one.

Simple Living Blogger said...

My mother-in-law would make apfel spaltzen (my german spelling is not that good, sorry), which is apples, cored and sliced in rings, dipped in a fluffy kind of batter and fried in butter, then sprinkled with powdered sugar. YES!!! There's also apple crisp. Baked apples. Sliced apples with tangy blue cheese. OMG. The possibilities are endless... I'm thinking of trying the apple blackberry hand pies. Those look YUM.

Liz said...

Just a thought but Valentine's is coming up...so why not make some scrumptous candied apples and give them back to those at work....maybe then they will appreciate the simple apple!

Aging Ophelia said...

One thing I love to make with apples is this savory, sweet & tangy salad from Cooking Light. Here's a link to the blogpost where I used the recipe:

http://vegetarianatlargeinbuffland.blogspot.com/2011/01/sick-tired-hungry.html

Ever since I tried this, I've been making it all year round.