Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dragon Bowl


A dragon bowl (named for a dish we had at the High Noon Café in Jackson, MS) is basically beans, rice, greens, veggies, and a protein topped with spicy peanut sauce. This is the kind of dish you never make the same way twice because it's best to use what is fresh, in-season, or really, whatever you have in the fridge. The one constant is the peanut sauce, which is equal parts crunchy peanut butter, sriracha, rice vinegar, mirin, and soy sauce.

It's vegan, it's inexpensive, and it's pretty delicious. Back in the day, we would almost always fix this (or spaghetti!) when we had people over to the apartment for dinner; it was easy to feed six famished people for less than 20 bucks.

(Check out Tuffy's walk-on cameo about half way through the video. He makes his way into the frame and strikes a pose.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight with arugula, broccoli, and seitan. Awesome!!! Thanks for the great new menu staple.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

That's the spirit!

Unknown said...

I just made this with brown rice, edemame, baby Shanghai choy, Chinese broccoli, sautéed Japanese eggplant, and tofu. I also added garlic and ginger to the sauce. Thanks Justin!

Anonymous said...

I know what I am having for dinner tonight! Thanks!

arjedre said...

This just came up in my search results and I thought I would add that I have made this at least 20 times since you posted it with, as you suggest, whatever's on hnad. I'm all about that spicy peanut sauce...