Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ginger + Orange Marmalade Tofu w/ Soba Noodles & Pickled Vegetables

I hijacked The Wife's orange marmalade to make this healthy tofu noodle dish for lunch on Sunday. From the second I tasted the marmalade, I knew what I wanted to make with it -- and there was no toast involved.

I love to take something sweet and add it to a savory dish almost as much as I love adding something savory to a sweet dish. The result in both cases is a round and full flavor with lots of dimension, just like in this dish. (Read more about our experimentation with sweet/savory switch-ups HERE.)


For the tofu you will need:

1/2 block firm tofu (cut into thin slices)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
canola oil
2 cloves garlic (microplaned)
1/2-inch piece of ginger (microplaned)
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/2 white onion (cut into slivers)

First, dredge the tofu in the flour and pan fry it over medium heat in the canola oil until it's brown on both sides. (This should take about 2-3 minutes per side.) Remove the tofu and clean out the pan. Turn the heat to low and add the remaining ingredients to the pan. Whisk to incorporate everything; add a little water if the mixture is too thick. Slice fried tofu into matchsticks and add it to the sauce.

I served this citrusy tofu over some soba noodles with a side of quick-pickled carrots and red peppers. I topped the whole thing with cilantro and peppers from our garden. This would be just as good with a few stir-fried veggies and rice, wrapped up in a dumpling, or even inside a spring roll.

2 comments:

Tiger38 said...

I am a budding vegetarian and found your site on line. LOVE your recipes, but there is one problem. With the black background I use way too much ink by copying, pasting, and printing them. Therefore I have to copy them by hand. Being the lazy person that I am, do you have any suggestions about copying them on my printer without using all that ink?

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

So glad you like the site and the recipes. Just copy the text and paste it into Word or Pages then change the text color to black. That should solve your problem.