Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Olive + Clementine Pita Wrap w/ Toasted Almonds


This sandwich is so simple to make, but the flavor is very complex. The idea was born from a salad I like to make to go along with paella or empanadas. You are just a few ingredients away from a hearty, vegan lunch.

5 sicilian olives (quartered)
1 clementine (peeled and segmented)
1 parsley sprig
a few thin slices of red onion
lettuce mix
a drizzle of olive oil
6 toasted almonds (roughly chopped)
1/4 lemon
whole wheat pita

Mix the first six ingredients in a bowl making sure the olive oil gives everything a shiny coat. Place mixture in the center of a warm pita, top with almonds, squeeze the lemon on top, and roll it up. This sandwich has a wonderful sweet and sour flavor profile. It may or may not need salt depending on how salty your olives are. This delicious and quick sandwich is a must-try.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

ohhh that looks yummy!

Bianca said...

Pairing clementines with olives is genius. What are Sicilian olives? Are they from the fancy olive bar?

Bianca said...

Oh, and where did you get that pita? I love fluffy pita like that, but I can never find them.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

whole foods on both counts.

Mel Spillman artwork said...

Did you really count the almonds? only 6?
hee hee

Every time I eat almonds I can't resist a big handful, they are so yummy (perhaps that is why I have a tummy pooch!). Portion control is my weakness, but I will try your suggestion of counting things before I eat them.

YUM!

Audrey said...

speaking of olives, this is a recipe i adore, and can't get enough of. to me, it's the perfect dinner. i wonder if you'd like it?

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s2644638.htm