Thursday, May 21, 2009

Consolation Frittata

I told everyone that I was bringing pizza. I had this dough in my fridge that I had let rise for 3 days and I believed that it was ready to be made into pizza. It was a mess. I can make pizza in my sleep, so I'm not really sure what went wrong. It was sticky and flat. So it is now 10 past 6 and I'm supposed to be at the OSOME gathering at 7ish. What do you do? Frittata, that is what. I had the pizza topping already prepared, and I had gotten some eggs from a friend earlier in the day. I used some select pizza toppings to fill and top the frittata. It was some unplanned local deliciousness.

2 red potatoes (thinly sliced)
10 eggs
3 slices of bread (torn into small bits)
1 sweet onion (sliced and caramelized in some butter)
2 field roast sausages (sliced and browned)
1 cup mozz (shredded)
1/2 cup goat cheese (crumbled)
12 sprigs of thyme
S & P
olive oil

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Mix the onion, eggs and bread together in a large bowl. Oil a large non-stick skillet and place over medium heat. Arrange the potatoes in a single layer. Pour egg mixture over potatoes and top with sausage. Cover and cook until the edge starts to set. Place into the hot oven for 10 minutes. Remove cover and add cheese. Cook until the center is not jiggly and the cheese is golden. Top with fresh thyme.

Local ingredients: potatoes, onions, eggs, thyme

A big thanks to Andria for hosting again this week. In addition to the frittata we had a wonderful tofu stir fry, caprese salad, guac, asparagus pie, and for dessert strawberry ice cream. To read more about our local food adventures click HERE.

3 comments:

Bianca said...

Nice save! I had a dough issue this week too. My sourdough rose beautifully on its first rise, and then fell flat on the second rise. I baked it anyway and used it for Vegan YumYum's Bread and Eggplant Lasagna. Which was fine. But it made for incredibly dense loaf. Maybe it's something in the Memphis air affecting our dough...

FR Connection said...

This sounds absolutely delicious!

M. Allison Keltner said...

just made this for brunch. delicious! I subbed cheddar and feta because that's what I had in the fridge. Also added some fresh chives to the top--just bought some potted herbs at the Greenmarket last week. It took a while for the cheese on top to brown, but the extra time didn't result in the eggs being overcooked or anything. Thanks--this was my first attempt at one of your recipes!