Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fast & Easy Baked Italian Spinach

I threw this dinner together the other night before running out the door to band practice, and it was surprisingly good. I knew I wanted to make the toasted ravioli, but had not yet decided how I would make it a meal. I opened the fridge to find a bag of fresh spinach. Our standard way to prepare spinach is to make a simple salad or to saute´it with garlic and olive oil. Both are good, but I was in the mood to do something different. Each serving contains a half a bag of spinach plus an egg. I call that some protein and iron rich good eating. Make this healthy side dish next time you make pasta. I think you'll really like it.

Baked Italian Spinach

1 bag of fresh spinach (blanched in boiling water for 30 seconds)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
2 eggs
parmesan cheese
S & P

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain the blanched spinach and squeeze the water out. Season the spinach with salt & pepper, and add the minced garlic clove. Toss to incorporate ingredients. Divide spinach between two small oven safe dishes, and crack one egg on top of each. Sprinkle with parmesan, and bake until the white of the egg has set. This should take about 10 minutes.

4 comments:

helen said...

Woah woah woah! You can't just toss a phrase like 'toasted ravioli' into the mix without then expanding on it!

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

it is just that simple. really. cook ravioli according to package instructions, and then toss in olive oil, and place in a 400 degree oven until golden brown. Using a silpat on the tray keeps them from sticking. serve with a tomato sauce for dipping.

helen said...

huh! not a concept that has reached the shore of the uk. I might give it a go, although I fear my other half might look at me as if I'd lost the plot slightly. I like the sound of dipping in sauce though :o)

Lisa Kelly said...

I have made this three nights in a row and it is still super delicious. I am in love with your site and can't wait to try more of your recipes.