Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Southern Caesar + Cornbread Croutons

I've had this dish written on a piece of paper on my desk for, like, six weeks now. It's next to scrawled notes that read stuffed hush puppies, boiled peanut cmilis (I can't read my writing), and Carolina Gold arancini. I'll get around to those eventually, but I sure am glad I made this particular dish tonight because it's an unexpected marriage that actually works. The creole mustard and the cornbread take this salad way down South for a trip you're not likely to forget...especially if you make it using my Smoked Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread. 





Southern Caesar Salad + Cornbread Croutons
(serves 4 as a first course)


4 cups cubed cornbread
juice from 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
1/2 teaspoon creole mustard
2 tablespoons  mayonaise
1 medium garlic clove (minced)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire

1 teaspoon local honey
pepper to taste
6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 7 ounces)


1/2 cup grated parmesan (to garnish)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cornbread cubes on a parchment-lined sheet pan in a single layer. Put cornbread cubes into the oven for a total of fifteen to twenty minutes or until golden brown. In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, mayonnaise, garlic, worcestershire sauce, honey, and pepper. Using tongs, toss the romaine lettuce and the cornbread croutons in the dressing. Divide among plates and garnish with parmesan.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Chubby Vegetarian for sharing this dish cornbread cubes! this looks tasty and I know this will taste even better as my mouth is already watering lol. Always interested in great foods and dishes to prepare!

Bianca said...

Oooo...I have a freezer full of cornbread left over from the bday party last week. Now I know what to do with it!