Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Carrot & Peppadew Pimento-Cheese Sandwich with Veggie-Bacon, Lettuce, & Tomato

I thought I dreamed it, and then as I was putting the sandwich together this morning I realized that I spotted it on the menu board at Muddy Bake Shop. It is the pimento b.l.t. Thanks for the inspiration Kat. Think of this lunch as a genius way to save on bread by having two of your favorite sandwiches in one.

For lunch this week I developed a healthier pimento cheese. I wanted a spread that retains the creamy texture that you love while adding a healthy dose of vegetables. So I decided that I'd add carrots, red peppers, and peppadews for a bit of sweetness and crunch.
ingredients:

3 cups sharp cheddar (shredded)
1 large carrot (shredded)
1/2 red pepper (shredded)
10 marinated peppadews (chopped)
S & P to taste

Mix it all together, and then pulse in the food processor until you like the consistency. Have it on bread, crackers, or match it with some morningstar farms veggie bacon, lettuce and tomato for a truly sublime lunch.

2 comments:

Bianca said...

Yum! I make a vegan pimento cheese with a chickpea base. I bet it would be great with veggie bacon, lettuce, and tomato!

What is a peppadew? I love that name!

V said...

I haven't tried this yet, but I bet it would be wonderful with some chopped green olives added. They are wonderful in regular pimiento cheese.