Thursday, December 22, 2011

Lime Zest Cookies with White Chocolate + Cashews

Sometimes a cookie idea hits me, and I'll act on it even if I'm not really in the mood for cookies at the moment. Even when I am, I usually bake 10 or so cookies on one sheet and wrap up the rest in waxed paper and string, label the roll with the basics, and stick it in the freezer for another time. It's good to have a few different options around whenever a craving hits.

Recently, a family member was telling me about a big bucket of cookie dough that she bought from some sort of door-to-door saleskid this season. It's been a handy resource for her when she wants to make a few cookies at a time; of course, now I'm thinking she just might need a few mini rolls of our cookies this Christmas.

This particular lime zest cookie recipe was one that I had been thinking about for a while as a way to make a margarita-inspired sweet. Adding either cardamom or coriander was considered for these, but neither seemed quite right for what I had in mind; I just threw in the white chocolate chunks I had on hand and also some cashews because they needed some frills.

Lime Zest Cookies with White Chocolate + Cashews

2/3 cup olive oil margarine
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup cane sugar
zest of 4 limes
juice of one lime
1 egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon Maldon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder
1/4 cup cream
1/2 cup white chocolate chunks
1/2 cup cashews (chopped)

Cream the margarine and sugars. Add lime zest, juice, egg, and vanilla. Whisk the next 5 dry ingredients from flour to vanilla powder. Combine. Add cream by the tablespoon and stir until dough comes together. Add white chocolate and cashews and mix. Chill in fridge for at least an hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Scoop out cookies dough with a spoon or a small ice cream scooper and place one-inch-sized scoops on a Silpat-lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes (a little longer for a crunchier cookie).

6 comments:

Alaiyo Kiasi said...

Is your cookie recipe really this easy? I'm shy about making desserts because they don't seem to turn out as delectable as the photos. I'm feeling a bit more confident about trying these, and I like the way you store your cookie dough as well.

Have a great Holiday!

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

It's really easy. I decided to wing it when I made them (just made it up as I went along) and I was glad I did because they were really unusual and good at the same time, which is sometimes a tough balance to strike. The flavors seemed pretty subtle to me but worked together well. I say go for it!

I typically use less sugar than most recipes call for, so that helps desserts taste better in the end to me. And you know, I see those perfect store-bought desserts and they just have no soul to 'em, you know?

karenm101 said...

No you di ent! I cannot think of a better combination for a cookie:)

tender b. said...

Lime and chocolate sounds like a winner! Bookmarked for my holiday pleasure.

Rosita Vargas said...

Lucen perfectas una verdadera delicia al paladar ,abrazos y feliz año 2012,paz y amor.

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

You know what? I think I am going to chill the dough for an hour, roll it out super-thin, cut shapes, and call these crisps. The dark edges of the reg. recipe are the best part, so why not capitalize?

TCV