Thursday, October 6, 2011

Triple-Ginger Apple Crisp

I still cannot believe how early I used to wake up in order to go to Houston High School. It was dark, and it usually remained dark as I waited outside for the school bus, which was a more entertaining choice than driving to school alone.

In my adult life, I feel like I never have enough time, and breakfast usually consists of scarfing part of a banana in the car, making a green smoothie, or totally forgetting to eat and then rooting around for the lone, slightly crushed granola bar I just know I must've stashed somewhere in my desk.

But back then as a ravenous teenager, I always had some sort of nice, sit-down breakfast. My mom catered to us in the morning and let Lindsey demand orange juice delivery and multiple wake-up calls before she stumbled downstairs with her blankets in tow in order to sleep further on the kitchen floor. My own indulgence was always breakfast with just me at the kitchen counter with some eggs and grits, French toast, or a bowl of apple crisp, one of the mainstays.

I love making it now and then these days, even though I'll always think my mom's version is better. It's so easy to put together on a slow morning or to set up the night before and refrigerate overnight before baking. This time around, I made it vegan and also added ginger x 3 for an extra kick.


Triple-Ginger Apple Crisp

Filling:

10 Granny Smith or Fuji apples (peeled and sliced into inch-long chunks)
juice of one lemon
2 tablespoons apple juice
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegan cane sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar

1/2 tablespoon Earth Balance with olive oil (for pan)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all filling ingredients well. Butter a shallow baking dish and then pour filling into it. Bake apples for 30 minutes.


Crumble Topping:

1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup Earth Balance olive oil margarine
2 small pieces of crystallized ginger (minced)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon clove
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Maldon salt
1/3 cup olive oil margarine (melted)
1 tablespoon olive oil (for drizzling)

Combine all dry ingredients from oats to salt and stir. Add melted margarine to the dry ingredients and incorporate. Spread topping across the pan of apple filling and then drizzle it with olive oil; it's also good to sprinkle it with a little more salt to counter the sweetness. Spread topping across the top and then bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes; the topping will brown, and the apples will bubble when it's ready.

*You also can top it with honeyed yogurt: 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest.

6 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

I miss the days when my Mom would make me breakfast too...

I am loving the triple kick of ginger here. I am going to have to make this soon!

Karen said...

Triple ginger? I can't wait to get off this low carb diet and bake this! Sounds completely yum!

Unknown said...

I was immediately drawn to your blog to read about this recipe. It was more of a treat to read the story behind the recipe.

I think I can figure out how to It I want to make just two servings, how many apples should I use?

Appreciate the beautiful photos and wonderful writing!

Alaiyo

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Hi Alaiyo! I think maybe use 3 big apples and cut the recipe into thirds would work. I will say that the leftovers were good even cold!

Good luck with it; it's really spicy.

TCV

Unknown said...

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the directions on how to reduce the recipe--and I LIKE spicy foods, so it'll be perfect.

Alaiyo

Tender B. said...

You would get this for breakfast? What a way to wake up.