Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Chubby Vegetarian Thanksgiving Cooking Class on Saturday, Nov. 3 in Memphis

(UPDATE: WINNERS! Commenters Ssummers and James C. Williams, you have a spot at our class -- see you next Saturday at 6! Show up and just let us know via FB message this week if you have any questions. Glad to see you then.)

We are so excited to be hosting Thanksgiving early this year -- and you're invited! Come learn how to make Acorn Squash Stuffed with Dried Apricots and Chanterelles Topped with Miracle Mushroom Gravy; try your hand at our famous-within-the-family Brussels Sprout Salad with Candied Pecans and Smoked Goat Cheese; make your own Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce from scratch; and bake a Sweet Potato Pie with a Rosemary Cookie Crust with us to finish the meal. We'll teach you how to make the TCV family favorites that our families request this time of year.

In addition to walking you through a few simple steps to a perfect vegetarian Thanksgiving, we'll discuss the wine selection for your new menu. Of course, you'll also get a taste of everything that we create at the class.

Please don't make a sad frozen tofu turkey for your guests this year. Make a fresh, seasonal meal that everyone will be talking about until next Thanksgiving rolls around. Join us, won't you.

The Chubby Vegetarian Thanksgiving Cooking Class
In Memphis at the Downtown Cooking School

Saturday, Nov. 3, 6-8 p.m

Cost: $35 per person

Click HERE to register for the Thanksgiving Dinner class with Justin Fox Burks and Amy Lawrence or call 901.255.2562.

*CONTEST: We are giving away one place in our class to two separate commenters in Memphis or the surrounding areas. Winners will be chosen at random; to be in the running, just tell us about their best or worst vegetarian Thanksgiving meal. We know how it goes; oysters in the dressing, obviously non-veg marshmallows covering up the sweet potatoes, and that giant bird staring at you all day long while you virtually starve to death. Or maybe you have a few tricks up your sleeve when it comes to sidestepping these conundrums? Either way, leave us a comment and tell us all about it.

We will pick our winners on Friday. We can't wait to hear from you and see you in our class in less than 2 weeks!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the giveaway. I would love to join you for the cooking class - I do live in Memphis. I don't call myself a vegetarian because it freaks my family out (it must be a southern thing). For Thanksgiving, I will take the tiniest piece of meat and leave it on my plate. I've found this draws less attention. I've tried to offer to bring a salad or something so I know there is something I can eat, but my family insists that I do not need to cook. So, I'm usually hungry.

Unknown said...

casseroles! squash, green bean, sweet potato! who needs meat? (having a vegetarian sister in law who is an awesome cook doesn't hurt either...) i love thanksgiving!

James C. Williams said...

What do I normally end up eating on Thanksgiving? Rolls with an iceberg salad. Ugg. It's really not so pretty. (Caveat: I'm a bad vegetarian - I choose to believe that marshmallows and gummy bears are made of skin and bones, so I will eat the sweet potato pie.)

James C. Williams said...

For me, it usually ends up being an iceberg lettuce salad and dry rolls. Not too pretty, but I've never died from eating crappy one day of the year. (Well, really, it's any day that involves family.)

Rebecca said...

Honestly, I am not a vegetarian and most of our family dishes probably contain something that a true vegetarian could not eat. I would love to learn to cook some true non-meat dishes to contribute this year to our dinner!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Aimee. I'm socially phobic and looking for something to do with my mom. This class would help us. It would also help our amily and me (we're not vegans) by giving me something to talk about- the healthy food I made- instead of drinking. Thanks I hope to meet you soon!

Jessiebelle said...

Hello! So I have four siblings and all of us have been veggie at some point or another over the years. Unfortunately, my parents and extended family live in Alabama and they still don't understand the whole concept. My poor mother (God bless her soul) puts forth her best effort every year. This usually involves microwaved tofurkey and a separate batch of white bread stuffing made without sausage. There were a few years where the tofurkey actually came in the shape of a turkey. Otherwise, we are all left to fend for ourselves amidst a sea of sausage balls, deep fried turkey, honey baked ham, bacon wrapped green beans, giblet gravy, and (of course) sweet potato casserole covered in marshmallow goo. Now that I'm in my late 20's and living in the big city, I think it may be my time to step up and start providing a full meal everyone in my family can eat and enjoy together. I would love to come to your cooking class so I can give all of the non-meat eaters in my family something to look forward to when they go back to Bama for the holidays!

The Chubby Vegetarian said...

Jessiebelle, we have already picked the contest winners, however you may still register for the class. it's only $35. We'd love to see you there and share our recipes with you so you can share them with your family.