Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vegan Bran Muffins

Oh, the lowly bran muffin: it can be like eating a scrap of kraft paper, or it can make being semi-virtuous really easy and palatable. Adding more bran and using whole wheat pastry flour gave these a deeper, darker depth of flavor than the basic recipes I'm used to following. Put the batter together and store it covered in the fridge overnight; set out your muffin tin, liners, and ice cream scoop before you go to bed, and you can have these warm from the oven on a weekday with very little morningtime effort at all.

Vegan Bran Muffins

1 1/2 cups bran
1 1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (sifted)
1/2 cup light brown sugar 
2/3 cup vegan cane sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup golden raisins

Topping (optional):
1/2 teaspoon Maldon salt
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy margarine

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine soy milk and bran and let mixture sit for at least 10 minutes. Add vanilla, canola oil, and molasses and stir. In a separate bowl, sift flours, salt, sugars, and baking soda. Combine wet and dry mixtures; add raisins. Stir until just mixed. Use an ice-cream scoop to portion out batter into muffin cups; they can be filled almost to level because they won't rise much. If you want a crunchier top, sprinkle with brown sugar and salt and add a thin slice of margarine to the middle of each muffin before baking. Bake for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted into a tester muffin comes out clean with few crumbs. 

5 comments:

tender b. said...

You hit the nail on the head with that one. Bran muffins are either really good or...

Anonymous said...

A very good basic recipe, perfect mix of wet and dry ingredients. I think they would be a suitable base for lots of different variations - banana, apple, nuts, ginger, other dried fruits and maybe even chocolate!

For the calorie-conscious: they are around 125-150 calories per muffin (if you make 24) depending on the specific ingredients used.

I altered the recipe slightly by omitting the raisins, using mixed spice and cinnamon for flavour and adding 3 tbsp of cider vinegar (right at the end, mix quickly until just evenly distributed then get the batter into trays and baked asap) to get them to rise more. I baked them straight in a muffin pan with a spritz of low cal spray and they popped right out.

They rose as much as the (vegan) cupcakes I normally make and were light and spongy, not stodgy at all. They had quite a firm crust without the salt/sugar/margarine option, which might soften over time (as do the tops of my cupcakes).

I filled the pan to within 1 cm of the rim and got 19 well-risen muffins so next time I'll only fill it to 2/3 to get 24 muffins.

The taste was quite bitter for my liking - I wouldn't feel like eating more than one of these at a time and would definitely need a sweet cup of tea/coffee. I'm not sure if this is the bran, as I've never made bran muffins before, but I think next time I'll leave out the molasses as well as half the soda bicarb. I might even dissolve some Splenda tablets in the soymilk before adding it to the bran for more sweetness.

Anonymous said...

I am just in the midst of making these. I didn't have any raisins so I went without, and I only had almond milk, and I can tell already by tasting the batter that these are going to be a great hit! Great work on the recipe. I had to add a bit more almond milk as mine got really dry, very fast (like cookie dough). They are rising wonderfully in the oven as I write! Thanks for posting. Bran muffins are my go to for any kind of muffin, and I will be saving this recipe for many future uses :D

Jordan said...

I just made these and yum! I used oat bran, oat milk and no raisins. Came out a bit sweet for me.. maybe the oat milk? Also I put 1.5 teaspoons of baking soda per the other bakers suggestion. They puff up nicely and baked faster than 30 minutes but that might be my ovens fault. Thank you!

Melia K said...

I just made these to have for breakfast and later a snack at work. I followed the recipe to a T, except used chopped dates for the raisins. These rose. A lot. I could have gotten another half pan or so out of these It think. Maybe I have magic baking soda? But yeah, overflow onto the pan. Smell great though!