Friday, September 16, 2011

Green Smoothies

I have been wanting to give mythical green smoothies a shot for a while now. The question is, could they possibly be any good? I wondered if I would really taste the spinach or the kale in these, but they're barely detectable since only a natural sweetness comes through. It didn't even beg for a shot of honey or agave.

Green smoothies, it turns out, aren't all that attractive-looking compared to the pleasing colors of typical fruit smoothies, but check out some of the simple ingredients pictured here. Fitting in an extra vegetable in the morning and getting an energy boost after drinking one of these couldn't be a bad thing, right? We might even commit to having one day for a while...

Spinach + Strawberry Green Smoothie

2 handfuls of spinach (about 2/3 cup)
1-2 frozen bananas (cut into a few pieces)
4 strawberries
juice from 3 oranges
ice (optional)

Blend until all ingredients are fully combined.


Kale + Berry Green Smoothie

1 1/2 cups curly kale
a handful of raspberries
a handful of blueberries
juice from 3 oranges
1-2 frozen bananas (cut into a few pieces)
ice (optional)

Blend until all ingredients are fully combined.

4 comments:

andrea said...

Love green smoothies. I have them a few times a week. Also if you have puppies they love it if you share!

Tender B. said...

I think you are onto something. The ease of sneaking in vegetables in a morning drink is definitely a good thing.

Mark said...

Great smoothie recipe. I practically live on juice and smoothie these days and this was a great mix to see posted.

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

Green smoothies scare me but I know I would love them! I just need to close my eyes and toss the spinach in :-)

I am new to your blog, love it and am now following you!!!